History of the School
The Richard Pate School was founded in 1946 and forms part of the Pate’s Grammar School Foundation, a charity dating back to the 16th century. In 1987, the school was relocated from the centre of Cheltenham to an excellent eleven and a half acre site on the southern outskirts of the town.
Richard Pate, 'a very excellent and charitable man,' was one of the most influential men in Gloucester in the sixteenth century. He was probably born in Cheltenham and later lived in Gloucester. He owned extensive property, having purchased a great deal after surveying the possessions of the religious houses in the district, being a commissioner under Henry VIII and Edward VI.
In 1541 he was admitted at Lincoln's Inn and later called to the Bar. He represented Gloucester in Parliament on a number of occasions and was Recorder of Gloucester from 1561 until his death.
The Pate's Grammar School Foundation was set up by Richard Pate in the year 1586.
He died on the 29 October 1588, aged 73, and was buried in the south trancept of Gloucester Cathedral.